Thursday, December 8, 2011

Hamburger Stroganoff

In an attempt to get out of my some 'ole recipe slump, I've started going through my recipe binders and few remaining cookbooks (in a big de-clutter last year, most didn't make the cut).  Several years ago, my mother-in-law made a family cookbook for each family for Christmas.  This recipe was submitted by Hubby's Aunt Marlene.  It looked good and I thought Little Man might like it-he's going through quite the picky phase right now.

Anyway, it was ready in a jiffy and the kids liked it. Little Man ate most of his serving.  I thought it was good, but next time I'll add cheddar cheese.  Cheese makes everything better.

1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced (again, I'm a jar girl)
4 oz. mushrooms, chopped (the original recipe called for a can, but I used fresh)
2 Tbsp. parsley flakes
1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups milk
1 cup sour cream
12 oz. egg noodles, cooked and drained

In a large saucepan or small stock pot, heat water for cooking the noodles.  When boiling add noodles and a little salt.  In a skillet, brown the ground beef with the onion, garlic, mushrooms and parsley.  When the onion is soft and the beef thoroughly cooked, dump it into a colander to drain (or however you drain meat, but empty the pan).  Leaving the pan on medium high heat, melt the butter, then add the flour, salt and pepper.  Whisk together and allow to brown slightly.  Add milk slowly and whisk in to incorporate, continue whisking to get rid of any lumps.  When thickened, add the sour cream and stir it in.  Then add the meat mixture back in.  Stir together and heat through.  This is where I'm going to add a cup or so of cheddar cheese next time.  Serve over cooked and drained egg noodles.  I dumped my sauce over the noodles in the stockpot and mixed them that way.  I just have visions of noodles all over the table as my kids try to stir it together on their plates.  That might just be me though. :)

Note:  The original recipe called for a can of cream of mushroom soup, but since I don't use that, I just incorporated making my own soup into the directions for the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...