Monday, November 28, 2011

Week 45: Try new "in season" produce

I like to think that my family eats a pretty wide variety of  foods.  I plan meals that use a variety of ingredients and from different cultures.  You would think that by now, before I pat myself on the back, I should think again.  Last Sunday I was walking through the produce section of our local grocery store and could point out at least 10 (and probably more) foods that I've never tried, much less prepared for a family meal.  Ahhh, a new goal forming!  We will try at least one new food each week for the rest of the year.  Last weeks (if you didn't realize, I'm behind a week) new veggie was turnips.  Hubby brought a few home from his second job and peeled them and ate them raw.  Little Man and I didn't care for them, but Baby Girl loved them and wanted more.  Big Girl was undecided-she ate the piece she was given, but didn't want more, so who knows on that one.  I think in my next menu plan I will try to find a different preparation to see if a can win over the non-lovers (myself included).

The new veggie for this week is leeks.  I've always considered leeks to be a fancier food.  We'll see.  I'm going to make a batch of potato and leek soup this weekend.  It's not the focus of any meal-so if it's terrible, we'll still have other food! :)

If you have a great recipe using either turnips or leeks, I'd love to hear it.

Other possibilities for the rest of the year are spaghetti squash, acorn squash, various types of potatoes, parsnips and fruits like persimmons, papaya, etc.  I don't necessarily know if the fruits are in season, but they have been on sale in this particular store lately, so I might try those as well.

I'll try to keep everyone updated as to what we're trying and what the verdict is!

1 comment:

  1. I make this one

    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/crockpot-potato-leek-soup-recipe.html

    like she said it is earthy. To get my kids to eat it, I put alphabet noodles in their bowls with the soup :) The only way I can get my kids to eat soup is to put noodles in theirs!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...